Moon, the only satellite of the earth...
- it was created along with earth 4.6 billion years back when a giant object had hit the young earth
- the same side of the moon always faces the earth, such that we can never see the other side of the moon. this is known as tidal lock.
- moon is getting away from the earth at 4cm per year
- After a million years the moon will start coming towards the earth, until it will come so near that it will break up and its particles will form a ring around the earth, just like the planet Saturn
- moon's craters seen from earth were described differently by eastern and western cultures
- it is a cosmological coincidence that the size of moon and the sun looks the same from the earth, even though the sun is so much far away
- because of the moon's and sun's same size, the lunar eclipse will cover the sun exactly in a beautiful phenomenon which is unique to planet earth only!
- only 12 men have ever walked on the surface of the moon... the only cosmological object in the universe that man has ever stepped his foot on!