A couple of months ago, when I first started with Rails, I took a loooong time to get all the setup and configuration. So, fret not if this happens to you :) I still have a long way to go, but it seems some of the stuff do get easier! So, let's see how's the todo app for now...
$ rails generate controller Tasks index edit show new $ rails generate model Task name:string userid:integer
- Remove file public/index.html
- Edit routes.rb to connect root to task/index and added general routing
TodoApp::Application.routes.draw do root :to => "tasks#index" resources :tasks end
tasks\_controller.rbto include index, show, edit, destroy, create, new functions
*Referred tutorials: *
- Stackoverflow for many similar questions & their answers
- Annonate Gem Rails Plugin to automatically add model comments
Tips & Tricks:
- Cut and Paste the error messages into Google or else!!!
- Advanced Google Search -> Select Past One Year to ensure latest version answers
- When deleting a file, do remove it from git as well
$ git rm file-to-delete.rb
Time Taken: 4 hours [it wasn't even 4 hours when I first tried following a tutorial! It was around 10 hours :) ]
Fun Stuff completed: Todo now has the functions of CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete)
Next Objective: Build a "Done" Column/field for each task with a checkbox to update it's status when the task is completed!